LET’S GO TO BAT FOR BAT PRESERVATION!
Happy National Bat Appreciation Day!
I like bats when they are outside. It’s when they are flying around in my house that I have a problem. But I always safely catch them and release them back outside.
I was surprise to find out that Michigan has nine different bat species.
The different bats include:
- Big Brown Bat (Eptesicus fuscus)
- Little Brown Bat (Myotis lucifugus)
- Eastern Red Bat (Lasiurus borealis)
- The Hoary Bat (Lasiurus cinereus)
- Tri-Colored Bat (Perimyotis subflavus)
- Silvered Haired Bat (Lasionycteris noctivagans)
- Indiana Bat (Myotis solidalis)
- Evening Bat (Nycticeius humeralis)
- Northern Long-Eared Bat (Myotis septentrionalis)
Here in Michigan, the Little Brown Bat or Myotis lucifugus is the most common. The Little Brown Bat is a relatively small mammal with an olive-brownish to dark yellowish brown colored coat. In Latin, the word Myotis means mouse ear which is great for these Little Brown Bats since they do look like they…
View original post 171 more words